What is VoiceThread?
In the VoiceThread Workshop handout, it is described —
A VoiceThread is an online media album that can hold essentially any type of media (images, documents and videos) and allows people to make comments in 5 different ways – using voice (with a microphone or telephone), text, audio file, or video (with a webcam) – and share them with anyone they wish. A VoiceThread allows group conversations to be collected and shared in one place, from anywhere in the world.
One of the best examples I’ve seen is Weather: Art and Poetry by students in Mrs. Mattson’s 3rd Grade class.
Now imagine how you could use this tool for Advent Prayer.
I would encourage you to do the following:
- Explain the season of Advent to your students.
- Break the class into 4 groups. Group 1 students will work on prayers for the first week of Advent, Group 2 the second week in Advent, etc.
- Guide them in creating an Advent Prayer for their assigned week.
- If you do not have computers in the classroom you can —
- Invite students to write and create their Advent prayer on an 8 1/2 x 11″ sheet of paper. Later, you can scan this image to use in the class Voice Thread.
- Or, assign the students to work on their prayer at home on their computers, tablets or any other digital tools that can be used to create a JPEG file. You could use a variety of tools: MS Paint, MS PowerPoint – saving in a JPEG format, or Google Docs – Presentations, or any other tool that allows the student to create a text and graphic file that can be easily saved in a JPEG format.
If you have access to computers during your session, you can create the Advent Prayer during your class.
- Where students have an electronic file, guide them how you want to receive this file – via a thumb disk, email you, add to a Dropbox sharing file or any other way that you can easily receive the file from a student.
- Once you have the electronic files, you can add these images in the order of Week 1 through Week 4 on the VoiceThread tool. (Remember you will need to sign-up for an account). Here is also an opportunity to invite a high school student to work with you on the project. You can briefly introduce them to VoiceThread and this blog article to become acquainted with the project.
- Once you have the Advent VoiceThread set-up, you can add it to your website, class blog, write a short article for your parish bulletin and invite members of your parish and families of your students to come to the Advent VoiceThread to add their comments and/or Advent prayer.
When you have your class Advent VoiceThread online, do come back here to share with us what your class did. We all would love to hear about this project with your students.
Visit the VoiceThread website to learn more about this wonderful tool.
If you like this post, take a moment to click on the LIKE button below.
Copyright ©2011 Caroline Cerveny