For those who are interested in integrating technology into one of their Advent lessons by involving the family, you may wish to do the following:
- Direct your families and/or students to Advent Prayers and invite them to pick a prayer. (Note: Here are other prayer links – Children Pray: Advent and Christmas or A Prayer for Lighting the Advent Wreath.
- As a family, invite all to pray this prayer together.
- Go back and highlight and copy the text of the prayer that was just prayed.
- Then go to WORDLE.
- Click on “Create Your …” link or the “Create” tab.
- Paste the text into the “Paste in a bunch of text” space.
- Then click on “Go”.
- Your screen will look something like….
If you like the word arrangement as it is great! If not, you can adjust text, colors or word arrangement by clicking on menu bar text “Font”, “Layout”, or “Color”. When you like your arrangement, then do a and paste into MS Paint or any other graphic program you may have to create a *.jpg file. You may want to crop your image so that you are just showing the Wordle!
Here are examples of how you can adjust your Wordle Design
Once the JPEG file is created, then you could invite your students to do the following:
- Ask them to email the graphic to you. Once you have the files you can add them to your class website or create a collage of Wordle Prayers.
- Add the images to a class prayer PowerPoint. With an Advent song playing in the background show the Wordle Prayer images. Invite your students to identify ONE word on each slide that stands out for them. You may want to have a worksheet for them.
- Then ask the students to create a SHORT Advent prayer using any five words they have identified.
For example: Advent, Jesus, longing, brother, darkness
Brief prayer – Jesus this Advent we are experiencing darkness, we are longing for you to be our brother.
If you are not sure how to do the “tech” part of this prayer experience, remember that many of your high school students are very comfortable with these tools, you may want to ask one of the high school students to work with you to create the PPT, or add the images to the class website, or whatever else you may want to do. Remember, they love to be your coach so that you can learn how to use these technology tools.
If you have other ways that you are planning on using Wordle with your students during this Advent season, we’d love to hear about them. If this was helpful to you, please click the “Like” button.
Copyright 2012 Caroline Cerveny, SSJ-TOSF